District Education Funding Information
Eligibility Criteria for District Members
- It is the member's responsibility to clarify any questions regarding application.
- To apply for funding, applicants must be an active member/associate of ORNAC and have held a membership in the membership year prior to the funding application.
- In the membership year prior to the funding application, an applicant must have attended at least TWO (2) district meetings or ONE (1) district meeting and ONE (1) provincial or national education session, conference or teleconference.
- In the membership year prior to the funding application, an applicant living a distance of more than 200 kilometers away from their major centers (or less as determined by each district board) must have attended at least ONE (1) district meeting or ONE (1) provincial or national education session, conference or teleconference.
- It is the member's responsibility to ensure their attendance is verified (e.g., signing attendance book and/or retaining certificate of attendance as proof).
- The applicant must submit the completed application form for funding to any District Executive member/hospital representative for review at a District Board meeting prior to the educational event for which funding is being requested.
- Priority will be given to conferences, workshops, seminars or non-credit courses, which are related to perioperative nursing practice. Approval for other education events will be at the discretion of the District Board. Non-credit courses refer to those courses NOT included in the Bursary and Special Education Funding Guidelines.
- Budget permitting, an eligible member may apply for 75% of costs incurred to attend a conference, workshop, seminar, or non-credit course, to a maximum of $500 annually or an amount determined by the District Executive.
- Members are encouraged to apply to alternate sources for funding; however, total funding cannot exceed 100%.
- ORNAA recommends to districts that monies to members not be granted until completion of the conference, workshop, seminar and/or non-credit course.
- Upon completion of the educational event and prior to receiving funding, the district member must submit receipts and a written article (to the district treasurer) or do a 20-minute formal presentation to their practice setting (verification by clinical educator/designate must be submitted to district treasurer). Topic/subject for written article or verbal presentation can be original or can be a review/summary from the conference/workshop/seminar attended.
- Members have 3 months (90 days) following the event to submit the receipts and the written article or complete the formal presentation in order to receive funds.
- At the discretion of the District Board, the eligible expenses include:
- Registration and conference social events as listed in the conference program;
- Travel (for out of town conferences only):
- Airfare, bus fare, ground transportation (i.e., to/from airport/bus depot to hotel destination);
- Accommodation (for out of town conferences only):
- Based on double occupancy, and may include equivalent nights as number of conference days plus one (depending on location/distance/travel limitations).
Click here to download the application form
Criteria for writing articles (Snips and Snaps)
- One article per person per funding request. No joint submissions will be permitted.
- District Executive members are exempt from writing an article for Snips and Snaps, when applying for funding but are encouraged to do so.
- The article must be submitted within three (3) months of attending the education event (course/seminar/conference).
- Articles must be submitted to the District Treasurer preferably in an electronic format (a hard copy may be submitted). The District Treasurer reviews the article to ensure that it meets the above criteria prior to forwarding it to the Provincial Education Director.
- Review or summary articles are not eligible for Snips and Snaps Original Writing Awards.
- The article must have the writer's name, date and a title on it.
- The article should have good sentence structure, proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- The article should have an introduction, body and conclusion.
- An original article should have a reference list.
Click here to download the application form
Criteria for formal presentation
- Refer to District Education Funding Information - Guidelines and Eligibility Criteria.
- Topic may be a summary of presentation given at a conference/workshop/seminar, or a subject researched by a member.
- An outline of the presentation is to be presented to educator/designate with a reference list. A presentation date should be determined.
- The presentation outline, the reference list, and the completed and signed checklist are to be submitted to the District Treasurer as verification for funding.
Click here to download the checklist
Please click here for the complete registration forms or contact for more information.